15 October 2007

Hope falls eternal

The first rains mean work, lots of it. I had to make time in a weekend of college football apocalypse to plant the last bulbs, cut back almost everything (or cut down: I put the final monster pelargonium out of my misery), and, especially, to start seeds. Half of these are the things I started last spring, the other half I ordered mostly from Silverhill before realizing how poorly I did with the first batch. Hopefully nature will do a better job than I did.

Sowing these seeds I ordered six months ago, I had to wonder: what the fuck was I thinking? 5 Romuleas? I have no idea. On the other hand, it made sense to order those from Silverhill, since they are unusual and hard to come by, unlike Ornithogalum. It's a mystery.

Babiana villosaSilverhill
Erythronium californicum 'White beauty'paintbrush
Freesia alba x purple stripepaintbrush
Freesia refractaSilverhill
Geissorhiza splendidissimaSilverhill
Hesperantha coccineaSilverhill
Lachenalia orchoides var. orchoidesSilverhill
Ornithogalum maculatumSilverhill
Lilium bolanderiAlplains
Romulea amoenaSilverhill
Romulea hirsuta var. hirsutaSilverhill
Romulea monadelphaSilverhill
Romulea sabulosaSilverhill
Romulea unifoliaSilverhill


Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger chuck b. said...

I'll bet you subscribe to Rock Garden Quarterly.

10/15/2007 10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to, but then I wouldn't be able to waste the money on plants I'll probably kill.

10/16/2007 6:28 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Man, here it's clean up time and you're still planting. Must be nice living in zone 9. I did sow some Phacelia seeds into the ground in late August hoping that warm weather would hang around a bit so we would see some blooms and it did and the plants did bloom. I was tempted to buy some perennial seeds to start now but chickened out and will buy them in spring instead. Hope all your seeds germinate.

10/24/2007 9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe me, I grew up in zone 6, so I appreciate what I have here. It's why I moved! But there are drawbacks that are not always easy to see from afar (because it's snowing too hard!), which I will address the next time I get it together to post something.

The short version is that native seeds germinate -- and plants start doing something -- now, because there hasn't been any water since April.

10/25/2007 1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006