31 August 2007

Aloe cooperi

Aloe cooperi
For whatever reason, this is the most exciting flower to me since, I don't know, the Beschorneria. I guess I have a problem with small and obscure succulents -- as long as they'll grow in the open garden.


Anyway, the grass Aloes (I think there are something like 6-10 species) are from eastern (i.e. summer-rainfall) South Africa. They both look like grass (kind of), and they grow among grasses. Here's an excellent blog post, and a predictably depressing discussion of their conservation status. At least some of them are winter deciduous, although mine hung onto its leaves last year. Are you paying attention yet? Summer rain + winter deciduous means you can grow them away from the west coast. Tony Avent says A. cooperi is hardy to Zone 7b. You can also order it from Annie's, sometimes.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger chuck b. said...

You don't post your archives on the homepage.

This makes it hard for stoned people to start at the very beginning, and comment on every single post.

Is that deliberate, or just a side benefit?

9/02/2007 12:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? Apparently only massive amounts of drugs induce anyone to to comment on this.

Check out the infamous reverse-sort menu hack at the top right:
Blogger won't let me put This picture in the comments, but it will remove any ambiguity.

9/02/2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger lisa said...

Heh..."aloe cooperi"...for a minute I thought I read "Alice Cooper"-shows where MY head is! Congrats on your aloe-I can only rot them thus far...*sigh*...which makes me stubbornly continue to buy them, of course! (Houseplants only in my zone 4).

9/06/2007 9:00 AM  
Blogger eindeloze sfeer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10/28/2007 12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006