20 February 2007

Sprung

Bilbergia nutans
If not actually sprung, Spring is at least gathering itself here, thanks to unusually warm temperatures after the last rains. All of the bulbs that I can think of are up now, including Tulipa linifolia, which I have been quite dubious about. Blooming is another matter, I suppose. Come to think of it, there is one straggler: Fritillaria meleagris.

The Bilbergia that was threatening to bloom sometime in December was definitely slowed by the frost, but seems no worse for the wear. The pomegranate has leafed out, there are nascent buds on the Distictis buccinatoria and the Brugmansia has almost recovered all of the leaves lost in the frost. All we need is a little more rain.

Calochortus_catalinae.jpg
The seeds are starting too: Calochortus catalinae germinated in about 18 days in the fridge, C. kennedyi 10 days later. The crunch is going to come in two weeks, when I'll have to plant out the first batch en masse.

Away from the garden it was a horticulturally eventful weekend, with the Pacific Orchid Exposition (not really my thing) and a CalHort talk on Calochortus (great slides, not so much info). I learned of an amazing plant that I had to have, which, thankfully, turned out to be a myco-heterotroph. Cross that one off the list.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger chuck b. said...

I have the sense of a slowly gathering spring as well. And I'm feeling all kinds of regret for the things I haven't gotten done yet. It's like the nicer things get, the worse it is when something isn't right. The shortcomings stand out just that much more. Sigh.

2/20/2007 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me about it: I finally turned the compost on Sunday, but I just couldn't face the huge pile of fallen camellia flowers (my prompt attention to which will supposedly do something about the camellia petal blight). But it's early yet.

2/21/2007 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006