06 November 2006

Now lie in it

The bed is made. Although planting things in it made me happy, I mostly found myself consumed with the kind of self-doubt that plagues the gardener -- or at least this gardener. Too much organic matter for the Calochortus? Gan the Agave attentuata and Leucospermum live together? And why did I buy that agave anyway? It would probably look better in a pot. Why do I so stubbornly refuse to chill the Tulipa linifolia? Ad naus.

Bulbs by their nature inspire these doubts, a leap of faith buried 6 inches under ground (of possibly incorrect composition), although I should probably worry more about seeds. I'll deal with that problem some other day.

[Not to burden with too much information, but the bed is divided into an acidic/sandy half, for the Proteaceae, and a neutral clayey half, for bulbs.

I also was able to remove the last patch of grass, grade out the lawn area, and -- against everyone's better judgment -- reseed it with fescue. It's probably too late to germinate, and even if it does the fear is that it will be overrun with bermuda, but I just didn't have the energy to deal with sod. Especially after an Orwellian trip to the stone yard, where I was informed that it was impossible to buy the pavers that I already bought for the path, and that therefore I can't buy any more of them to finish it.

*

I don't know what it says about me, but I was almost more excited to realize, when reading a book, that the agavaceous plant below, which I have long admired, is probably a Furcraea roezlii (= F. bedinghausii?). The internets make me less sure, though, so if there are any Agavaceae experts out there I'd appreciate confirmation/conjectures. The leaves are distinctly ensiform and minutely toothed, and this one is maybe 12' tall. It gets almost no direct sun.

Froezlii?.jpg

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Allison Bojarski said...

How long til you're making your own tequila?

11/06/2006 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since tequila is a geographic denomination, never, unfortch.

Plus I'd need A. tequilana to make something palatable, and that plant would eviscerate me before I could get it in the ground. (A. attenuata is nice and floppy befitting a tiny garden).

And if I have to wait 30 years for a plant to flower, there's no way I'm going to hack it open instead, even for booze.

11/06/2006 6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006