19 December 2006

Mr. frostee

Originally uploaded by akiruna.
That's not really what you want to see in the morning. The words "record lows," also not ideal. Although I'm pretty sure we did not get below around 35 (the coldest spot I could find was 38 when I went out around 7:30 with my meat thermometer -- yes, I need to get a better measuring device), the path was definitely crunchy. Or rather, part of it was: there appear to be about 15 different nano-climates in my tiny yard.

Thankfully, the crunchiest area is mostly plant-free, and no actual crystals were visible on leaves, but I have a feeling the Hedychium was not amused. Certainly I will have to lower my already diminished expectations for those flower spikes, which haven't budged since I noticed them a month ago. There is also some question about the Agave attenuata, which, though "hardy to 28," cannot be too happy either.

Although there's been a fair amount of gardening activity, I haven't had time to write about it, so I'll see you next year, which will commence with rose pruning, barring catastrophe.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I would spit blood if you got a Hedychium flower in December or January.

12/19/2006 11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No kidding! Especially after this week. But the spikes are still sitting there... all we need is a little heat wave to get things going.

Relatedly, I just noticed nascent spikes this morning in the Bilbergia nutans. I swear they weren't there last weekend. I wonder if they are triggered by the cold.

12/20/2006 1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I sense you have a lot of glamorous plants. What's the story?

12/20/2006 11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I wouldn't call the Billbergia glamorous, except in a snarky way. I do favor, uh, esoteric plants, but this one we inherited, lurking in a pot under the lemon tree. It appears to be indestructible, and the crazy flowers are welcome in Jan.

12/21/2006 3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what B. nutans looks like (I'm sure you can find better pictures on the web).

12/21/2006 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That photo you have in the post is pretty cool.

12/21/2006 5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't being snarky. I'm loving the Bilbergia.

12/22/2006 12:45 AM  
Blogger Christopher C. NC said...

That particular Bilbergia is a very dependable December/January bloomer. The flowers are a bit short lived for a Bromeliad which is kind of a bummer.

12/23/2006 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006