03 October 2006

Gardening with the Eagles (and subsequent solo spin-offs)


1. The heat is on

The weather is of course the most proverbially boring topic there is. And yet it is necessarily of surpassing interest to the gardener. I've never noticed summer turn so quickly into "fall" before, but of course I've never paid attention. I do believe that our traditional late-September heat wave was uncharacteristically abbreviated this year. We resorted to central heat for the first time a few days ago.

The days are abbreviating fast too. No use trying to get anything done after 7 now.

But the garden likes to remind me I'm not in Kansas anymore: one of the sweet peas is still blooming.

2. Take it to the limit

It's good to know your limitations. My limit, I just discovered, is six bags of concrete. Which means I'm a pathetic weakling. Nevertheless, I managed to get the slab poured last weekend, notwithstanding the disgusting wound left behind when the concrete float ripped off a callus. It didn't even hurt that much, but the next day it felt like my hands belonged to someone else. That's an inscrutable picture of the slab curing under plastic above, by the way.

I should also note that if you plant to run your own conduit, test it for leaks before you cover it up again.

Now you have Glen Frye in your head too, sucker. Just be thankful I spared you Don Henley.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it to the limit... thanks a lot

10/06/2006 1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... one more time.

Really, I am sparing you. My mind is so sick that, when the rain started the other day, I immediately got songs in my head by the Cult, the Who...

...and Toto. Yes, TOTO.

10/06/2006 11:48 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

Don Henley?....hey, GET OVER IT! Hahahahahaha!!!!! (sorry...kinda)

11/08/2006 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006