13 March 2007

Fun with flickr

flowers
Beware flickr maps. It's easy to go a little crazy on the exotic flora. If you stare at the original size of this photograph taken near Nieuwoudtville ZA , you will eventually see hundreds of young Aloe dichotoma trees dotting the hillside. [The yellow-flowered succulents in the foreground might be a Hoodia or Euphorbia, and I have no idea about the purple (Ericas?)]. Poke around fjordaan's photostream for more shots of this wonderful tree.

Unless it's A. pillansii, but I think it's too far south.


Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Domestic Goddess Ltd. said...

Your photos are lovely, and your postings are always fun to read... edifying, too. Wanted to invite you to take a look at my new gardening blog: www.floribundajulie.blogspot.com.

3/19/2007 3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks floribunda, though I should point out that the most attractive photos, including this one, are not mine. I'm a very lazy photographer.

You're on the list.

3/19/2007 6:37 PM  
Blogger ericat said...

Having spent a lot of time in Namaqualand I can help you there. Those purple flowers are known as mesembs in short. Mesembryanthemaceae family and which of the 30+ species is difficult to predict, even from near.
More on Namaqualand is on my blog. You already visited my blog. thank you, nice of you. I left a long explanation for you there. http:aloegardenwilderness.blogspot.com.

3/31/2007 10:51 AM  
Blogger ericat said...

I am enjoying your blog. Seen lovely flowers I never saw before but I am not finished yet. It is 23:00 hours so I am going to return tomorrow.
For now. The purple you saw will be mesembs. You will see more on my blog. september
2006

The second photo top shows a large patch and the other photos close-up photos.
The Ericas go with proteas and such "fynbos" in the Cape Town area. They need acid soil and somewhat more rain than the mesembs.

9/22/2007 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006