22 February 2007

Greener grass and other monocots

Last year, I was trying to describe gardening in California to my mom, and she said, "Oh, I bet you can grow Agapanthus too" in a tone normally reserved for something like Vanilla planifolia. I had to pause to make sure I was thinking of the right plant, because it is literally a parking lot median plant here.

STOP Agapanthus

Christopher C. reminded me of this the other day, which in turn reminded me of an overused Agapanthus relative blooming now, also likely to be exciting to people who can't grow it: Chasmanthe:

Chasmanthe floribunda

Here it is planted on the sidewalk with, yes, Agapanthus, Juniper, and something else...

clivia.jpg

Even I'm still impressed that we can grow Clivia outside.


Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note that Agapanthus and Chasmanthe are "related" only in my mind, as South African monocots.

2/26/2007 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006