12 December 2007

Hello world

Oh hi. You're still here?

Have you noticed that it's cold? Hella cold, actually. Not, of course, the oh-shit-I-might-die-if-I-go-outside cold of the rest of the country (much less the the oh-shit-I-might-die-anyway-if-they-don't-turn- the-power-on icestorm cold that I hope you'll survive to waste more time on the internets), but still, lows in the 30s, which is totally uncool. Dude.

If you can't have sun, at least enjoy the palm trees. Here we have Washingtonia filifera, the only palm native to Alta California, which I used to think strikingly ugly, as I am fond of neither palmate leaves nor persistent ones. This one is kind of cute though -- it reminds me of an ice cream cone. Check out palm canyon to enjoy this species in all its splendor, such as it is.

IMG_1318.jpg
Right around the corner from that tree is its cousin W. robusta, the Mexican fan palm. This one's at least 80 feet tall (behold the power lines in the lower right), growing out of a small cut in the sidewalk. Again, not my favorite, but at least admirable for the sheer height. They can hit 120 feet.

I've been too busy/cold/lazy to do much in the garden except follow the progress of my S. African seed. Freesia refracta was the first to germinate, followed by the Babiana and at least 3 of the Romuleas. I'm still waiting for 4 or 5 species, with a surprising amount of patience: a few weeks ago I pulled an unruly epazote from the herb bed to discover a diminutive oregano that turned out to be the za'atar I'd broadcast and given up on at least a year ago. yay!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Yes, it truly is "hella cold" and I really appreciate the NorCal nod with the use of the word, "hella" - your blog made me feel like I was talking to a close friend.

Cold up here too...

12/12/2007 7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Represent!

12/13/2007 12:34 PM  
Blogger eindeloze sfeer said...

Washingtonias are always striking to me - no pun intended - 'cause it's hard to imagine a part of the world with so few thunderstorms that those skydusters can persist. 2 freak weeks of Florida summer weather in California would, well, first it would make everybody incredibly unhappy, and it would mow every last one of those suckers down.
Look at this map. West Coast: NO LIGHTNING. How do you live without thunder? I can't imagine it.

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/lightning_map.htm

12/13/2007 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is weird -- we heard thunder this summer for I'm pretty sure the first time since I moved here more than 10 years ago, and it took me a minute to remember what it was.

But you get used to it. Like the six months without precipitation. And the palm trees.

12/13/2007 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006