05 November 2007

The march of progress

Instead of composing something intelligent, I've finally caved and harnessed the useless technology of twitter to the stupefying march of time in my garden. You will find updates under "gardening and telecommunication" on the right.

When they come to take me away, I'll be out back texting in today's low temperature.

One notable update is that it has yet to rain again.

And the first crocuses bloomed. The white one is C. pulchellus 'Zephyr', and the purple is either C. sativus 'Cashmerianus' (Russell says it's "freer of flower" than regular old C. sativus) or; its wild ancestor C. cartwrightianus is notably more beautiful. I kind of planted everything together, so it took me a while to sort them out. [updated 11/15].

That is all.


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger chuck b. said...

I'd like some rain.

11/05/2007 11:35 PM  
Blogger Ki said...

Will you pick the stigmas of the C. sativus to make saffron? :)

11/09/2007 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes... once I get my shit together. I left them on this year so I could try pollinating them, but never got around to it. Cartwrightianus is also edible btw.

I think I've got 9 plants between the two species, so 27 stigmas, so at least 5 paellas. People always blather on about how expensive saffron is by weight, but that's totally irrelevant.

11/09/2007 12:08 PM  
Blogger eindeloze sfeer said...

Yeah Cartwrightianus is edible. Except it makes you grow horns.

11/10/2007 10:20 AM  
Blogger lisa said...

Diggin' the white one...how about some snow instead of rain? Precip is precip, right? >:)

12/26/2007 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006