29 August 2006

Hardscape

"Hardscape" occupies a special place in the pantheon of words more absurd than their nominal referent, which in this case is concrete. A tiny 2" slab which my neighbor's demo hammer sliced through like a knife through warm butter, but concrete nonetheless, as easily ascertained by a CAT scan of my back. Unfortunately gardening is taking a back seat to demolition these days, but since it is in the interest of procuring more plants, all is for the best. Fall is planting time!

Also, irrigation. That will be nice the next time the most annoying foreigner in the world housesits in August.

By the way, 9 days since opening, the first Lapageria flower shows no signs of senescence, and the second is about to open. It's the exact opposite of the Brugmansia (in terms of pendant trumpet-shaped inflorescences). I'll try to take a picture that doesn't suck.

4 Comments:

Blogger chuck b. said...

How about your Hedychium? Did you get a flower? I didn't. But lately I've seen three plantings, all in late bloom. Look at this sorry specimen I passed yesterday a few blocks away from my house. The others looked more or less neglected too.

8/30/2006 10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I just went to the nursery I bought mine from, and their H. coronarium aren't blooming either. The other species, including H. gardnerianum (which I think is what's in that 5-gal. bucket) had loads of big fat blooms spikes.

I'm hoping the incipient September heatwave does the trick. I certainly won't kill it this winter, but I'll be considerably less kindly disposed when the rains stop next year...

Hmm, maybe one withholds water to induce flowering? I'll look into that.

8/30/2006 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuck, there's some good info here (FIND: hedychium to get to the relevant posts). Based on that, I think I'll give mine more sun and more water.

8/30/2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger chuck b. said...

Definitely, some plants don't bother with the trouble of flowering unless they're stressed. I'm actually not sure which species of Hedychium I have (is there a way to tell w/out the flower?) because I planted it before I became obsessive.

8/30/2006 5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006