01 May 2006

Planting restraint

Tulipa linifolia

You cannot assume that all the plants at a specialty plant sale are suited to your climate. I, of course, spazzed out and forgot this on Friday, when I bought these unbelievable species tulips, which are native to high elevations of the Pamir mountains, and are thefore as likely to thrive in my yard as in hell. But: wow. I might even have to clear out a space in the fridge to try to hang onto these.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I fucking scored at the plant sales this year:

asphodelAsphodelus albusLiliaciae/
Asphodelaceae
beschorneriaBeschorneria rigidaAgavaceae
mariposa lilyCalochortus superbusLiliaciae/
Calochortaceae
mariposa lilyCalochortus venustusLiliaciae/
Calochortaceae
Cali. fuschiaEpilobium canum/ "Catalina"
Zauschneria californica
Onagraceae
paintbrushHaemanthus albiflosAmaryllidaceae
mariposaHedychium coronariumZingiberaceae
copihueLapageria rosea "Nahuelbuta"Philesiaceae
Douglas irisIris douglasianaIridaceae
pincushionLeucospermum "scarlet ribbons"Proteaceae
coyote mintMonardella macrantha "Marian Sampson"Lamiaceae
king proteaProtea cynaroidesProteaceae
puyaPuya venustaBromeliaceae
tulipTulipa linifoliaLiliaciae


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There, indeed, is a tulip. And lovely as the "Nahuelbuta" variety is, I still can't believe you managed to forego "Dr. Bollocks."

5/02/2006 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, that is the variety I was planning on getting, but it was gone by the time I got there. There were at most 30 people in front of me at the members only preview sale, and I went directly to the Lapageria table, but it was fucking destroyed by the time I got there. Plant nerds.

5/03/2006 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006