15 March 2006

Photography school

euphorbia.jpg

What could be worse than my regular pictures? My cameraphone pictures. If you squint, you can sort of make out Euphorbia "Red Martin" (which was definitely not chosen for the name). It's blooming now: clusters of little chartreuse flowers on dark red stems with olive-y leaves.



callistemon.jpg

Also blooming, in the next pot over, is Callistemon viminalis "Little John". Bottlebrushes, in the form of small trees frequently "pruned" with hedge shears, are common here (almost Strelitzia-common), but they may not be familiar to east-coasters. They bloom almost all year. What I wanted to show was the striking effect of the rich golden pollen sprinkled over the deep burgundy(?) "flowers" [I have no idea what is going on, technically speaking, in these inflorescences]. This picture will give you a better idea.

I nearly killed these plants before I realized that drought tolerant + terra cotta pot = water every other day. They've recovered, but they're both looking a little leggy.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks to me like the burgundy parts of the flower are actually the stamens, and that the petals are the little insignificant lobed bit, and they're clustered in spikes. I'm gleaning this less from your photo than the link, of course.

3/15/2006 3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is what it looks like -- but I haven't figured out where the rest of the, um... junk is.

3/15/2006 5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The carpel? You can disect it with a razor blade and a magnifying glass, but bear in mind that it may not be a hermaphroditic flower, or even a monoecious plant. The female parts - junk, if you will - might be below the perianth (like a rose hip) or just really insignificant.

3/16/2006 2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. The myrtaceae often have inferior ovaries. Which sounds awfully judgmental, but is just support of option C.
Good thing I don't have to work much.

3/16/2006 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I examined it closely enough to say that the inferior ovaries make sense, but there are no obvious pistils.

Hummingbirds love them, but I don't know if they actually pollinate them.

3/17/2006 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006