20 April 2006

Heliophilia

3 days of sun, and everyone's in a better mood. Plants too. Since my garden is very much a work in progress, there's not a lot of things coming into flower right now (Salvia greggii and -- especially -- the Viburnum in the front), but the signs of spring are everywhere. Tons of new growth: pale green on the bay Laurel, almost black on the lemon (and both on the rose, because I failed to remove its exuberant suckers last year). The orchid (Epipactis gigantea) has put on several inches in the last week, though I'm still worried that it's not getting enough sun. But my other sources of anxiety are melting away: the pomegranate is finally budding out, and various seedlings are appearing as they should.

Last weekend I got two kind of Calochortus and Monardella villosa at a native plants sale, but they will have to wait for a summer-dry bed to accomodate them. Of course, I can't build the bed until I build a new path, and I can't do that until I run a new conduit, and I can't do that until it dries out enough to dig out the old path. So now the plants are waiting for me.

*

By the way, I went back to check out the Mimetes I thought I saw, and not only was it not there, I couldn't even figure out what I thought was a Mimetes. Nothing remotely close. We see what we want to.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

exuberant suckers? stop.

4/20/2006 4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. Aggressive suckers? I was trying to avoid profuse suckers, which is kind of like copious notes.

4/20/2006 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old path, new path, conduits...this seems to me like a great opportunity for some diagrams. Everybody loves a diagram. And an exuberant sucker.

4/21/2006 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

© 2006